22 December 2010

Germany doesn't want me to leave!

I'm at the airport now, a day after the scheduled flight.  I'm too sleep deprived to go into much detail about the stress of the last day, but let's just say I hope I can call myself a survivor of the Euro-Airport-Snowpocalypse!  I spent last night in a plush 4-star hotel paid for by Lufthansa, so I feel pretty lucky compared to those poor people who've been camped out in Heathrow for days.  My hotel even had a fitness studio!  It was no Fitrec, but it kinda made up for the loss of my day in Boston.  I was really looking forward to my Dunkin Donuts muffin for breakfast and Pita Pit for lunch though... Oh, and seeing my friends! :-)

My current plans have me flying to Frankfurt in an hour (7 am), and then I have a flight to Newark at 5 pm.  At least I'll have plenty of time to make my flight (if it runs), and I can even survey the "apocalypse" scene and pretend it's from a zombie apocalypse.  Yesterday while waiting in line for 2 hours, Anthony and I spent a good 30 minutes planning out our Zombie Contingency Plan for the Dresden Airport.  Besides the lack of any good weapons, I think we're completely prepared if (or when) it happens!

Travel delays suck, but they're a lot easier when you're with other people.  Although in this case, I realized that trying to fly with the group really screwed me over.  The Travel Agency that planned our group flight was completely incompetent.  I would complain to BU, but my Dad's been talking to them, and I consider that punishment enough! haha  After the flight to Frankfurt got canceled, we had about two hours or chaos while the RA's tried to reach the Travel Agent and other important people (not much luck.)  We couldn't change our flights or split up because we were all bound on the same ticket.  Then the RA's were able to dissolve our group flight, so we were on our own to book new flights.  Most people are flying into JFK on Thursday morning, but I somehow managed to get an earlier one, even though I was last in line.  I feel bad because there were some girls ahead of me who live in NJ and wanted a flight to Newark but were told they were full.  Maybe one opened up right before I got to the desk?  I wanted to just fly directly to Chicago instead, hoping to avoid a day stuck in JFK or Logan, but they wouldn't let me pay extra to change my final destination because I was still bound onto this group ticket. Lame!

My back-up plan was to take a train to Hamburg and spend Xmas there while I waited for the mess in Frankfurt to clear up.  If I can't get out of Frankfurt, that's where I'm going.  No nights in the airport please!  But the way things look now, I think I can get home sometime on Christmas Eve.  That means my holidays will probably be spent sleeping, but at least I can be there for all the family traditions.  I have so many presents to hand out too!

Best of luck to all the other Dresden kids trying to get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment